Recording Information & Fees
- The Registry of Deeds requires the original document for recording. The document must be signed by all pertinent parties and properly acknowledged and notarized. You can mail your documents to "Knox County Registry of Deeds, 62 Union Street, Rockland ME 04841". Please include a stamped, self-addressed envelope for us to mail your documents back after recording. We require adequate space on the top margin of the first page for our recording information. Our recording label is 1" wide and 3 1/2" long. The margin requirements for all registries are under the "Forms and Information" section.
- The fee for recording a document is $22 for the first page -this includes a $3 surcharge (Maine Government & municipalities are exempt from surcharge, so the first page is $19) and $2 for each additional page. There is an extra charge of $1 each for more than four names (grantor and grantee combined) for indexing purposes. There is also a fee of $13 charged for each additional reference (after more than one).
- A Real Estate Transfer Tax form is required whenever a land transaction occurs. The transfer tax, which is $4.40 per thousand, is determined by the amount at which the property is sold. The transfer tax is equally divided between the buyer and seller, unless exempt pursuant to Title 36, 4641-C. An exemption from the transfer tax must be clearly stated on the transfer tax form. The Real Estate Transfer Tax form and instructions can be downloaded from our "Forms and Information" section. If you use the Maine Revenue site to fill out the transfer tax form, be sure to include on your deed the DLN# that ME Revenue assigns.
- The Real Estate Transfer Tax amount is paid to the Registry of Deeds. It can be either a separate check or included with the recording fee check. All checks are made payable to "Knox County Registry of Deeds". There is a service charge if you choose to use a credit card.
- Survey plan recording fee is $24. The original plan must be signed and sealed by an architect, professional engineer or registered land surveyor. It must be submitted on white paper with a minimum weight of 20 pounds. The plan must be rolled, NOT FOLDED, only black and white ink- NO color accepted.
- The Registry of Deeds is not permitted to give legal advice.
- The Registry of Deeds does not provide document forms (deeds, mortgage, discharge, liens etc.)
- The Registry of Deeds does not change any documents that are on record.
- The Registry of Deeds recommends consulting an attorney if you have real estate concerns.
You are required to set up an account to PRINT documents from the website. You can search and view documents as a GUEST, but you cannot print.
A link to the website is provided for your convenience on the sidebar.
KNOX COUNTY IS NOW E-RECORDING
CONTACT ANY OF THESE E-RECORDING VENDORS FOR MORE INFORMATION
SIMPLIFILE @ 1-800-460-5657 OR WWW.SIMPLIFILE.COM
CSC-ERECORDING SOLUTIONS @ 1-866-652-0111 OR WWW.ERECORDING.COM
ePN-eRECORDING PARTNERS @ 1-888-325-3365 OR WWW.ERECORDINGPARTNERS.NET